FRIENDS OF ANGELS LTD. is a group of SCHS alumni volunteers who established a non-profit 501 c (3) organization dedicated to providing a safe, supportive, drug-free environment for staff, students and neighborhood residents in the St. Catherine’s High School area by 1) developing positive school-neighborhood relations, 2) sponsoring community-based events, and 3) rehabilitating neighborhood buildings/spaces.
Past and present FRIENDS OF ANGELS Board Members
Present: Chuck Wood '60, Don Klemt, Dan Peterson '65, Jeff Pulda '71, Frank D'Acquisto '77, Chris Gorman '77,
Bobby Letsch '84, Gregory A. Pitts '96
Past: Jim Poulsen '60, Bob Letsch '61, Julie Meyer '72
The Story of the Alumni House
In 2005, FRIENDS OF ANGELS purchased the two-story building at 1220 Villa Street, directly across from the school parking lot. Aiding in the purchase of the building were Jim Dickert '55, John Dickert '81, Marty Defatte Southwest Realty and Jess Levin president Bank of Elmwood.
Once the purchase of 1220 Villa was completed, volunteers totally gutted and rehabbed the building to create "The Alumni House." Since completion of the renovation in 2007, the building has provided special event and meeting space for the SCHS Administration, the SCHS Development Office, the Foundation, St. Catherine's staff and the Dominican Sisters. In addition, various SCHS committees utilize the office for meetings—Black and White Ball, John McGuire Memorial Golf Outing, Charlie's Angels, and Angel Booster Club Golf Classic. Every year, the building is made available to class reunion groups, who enjoy seeing the history of their SCHS experience documented in the photo collages and mementos that hang in the Alumni office.
The creation of three rental units (two upper & lower North) in the Alumni House helped pay the monthly mortgage payments. Over the years renters have included: YWCA “Dress for Success Program, a Dominican Sister, United Way Neighborhood Outreach Program, former SCHS teacher, and a 1st year SCHS teacher. A Holiday Raffle was conducted in 2016 & 2017 to offset cost when there were no renters, special thanks to Jeff Pulda ’71.
In August 2018, Siena Catholic Schools of Racine which includes their Admission, Marketing and Development offices, signed a three year lease to utilize the three open rental units. This included the upper two units and lower North unit.
Each Monday, local alumni and friends come together at lunchtime to network, share stories, memories and have a few laughs. Many are members of the original CHARLIE'S ANGELS that were instrumental in renovating the building. Each one devoted hundreds of hours to the project and they continue to be involved in maintaining the building and grounds. This former drug house has become a valuable asset to the SCHS community and neighborhood.
Before the FRIENDS OF ANGELS purchased and rehabbed the building at 1220 Villa, it was an unsightly drug house which contributed to the unsavory flavor of the neighborhood and promoted criminal activity in the area. Safety was an issue, especially for students, parents and staff during evening activities at the school.
Hundreds of volunteer hours by skilled SCHS alumni went into rehabbing the Alumni House as we know it today. The renovation created two residential apartments upstairs and two office units on the street level, which provide special event and meeting space for St. Catherine's and its fund-raising event committees.
The building is home to the SCHS Alumni Association. On the walls you'll find collages of decades of St. Catherine's High School history, beginning in the 1920s. They were created and donated by Chuck '60 and Joni Wood. Numerous SCHS alumni have donated mementos of their SCHS days…scrap books, Lances, letter sweaters, uniforms, awards, pins and pennants. They're all framed and on display for viewing. Chairs in the office were re-upholstered by Dave O'Brien '58. It's a place created for Angels by Angels.